Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Pencil Lead Case Flash Drive (Part 2)

We find the jump drive where we left it last: shaved down and ready for its new case. 
Once I had a the slots cut in the case and the drive shaved down, I needed a way to extend and retract the drive. While thinking about the design, I originally thought that I could put some sugru in the bottom of the case that would push the drive. It would be wrapped in wax paper to reduce friction, and I would insert some sort of tab into the sugru so it could be moved. The hardest part of this design was coming up with tabs of some sort that I could stick into the sugru that would also be flat on the top so that they could be easily moved. I eventually decided to make them out of metal strips that I would bend into a T-shape. After I began working on the metal pieces however, I realized that the sugru block was far too complicated and the problem could be solved with the tabs alone.

I made one metal tab for each side of the jump drive. One tab is pointed while the other is indented. This allows the two pieces to mesh easier when they are glued together. The metal pieces are actually just 1 cm x 3 cm pieces cut from an aluminum (or aluminium) ruler.  I also filed down the green anodizing from the ruler and added hatching with a hacksaw on the top of the tabs. Once folded into the T-shapes I glued the two pieces together through a slot cut in either side of the case. I also hot glued small pieces of zip ties to the joint between the two tabs to increase its strength. This contact point is between the tabs/zip ties is also reinforced with hot glue so that the drive can be pulled back in with the tabs (although this is not recommended). At some point I may have to replace the zip ties and the hot glue connections as they wear. However,
I am hoping that the metal tabs and the super glue joint between them stays strong for a long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment